Habitat for Humanity of Greater Garland participates in several programs available to low-income families to help them repair or preserve their home. A Brush with Kindness and Thrivent Repairs are part of a nationwide effort through Habitat for Humanity and national partners to help low-income homeowners maintain the exterior of their homes.
Groups of volunteers work alongside the homeowner to revitalize a home’s exterior. Although these programs are not free, they are an affordable option to low-income homeowners.
We will begin accepting applications for Amy Young Barrier Removal Program critical repairs at 10 AM on Tuesday, July 17th. Completed applications must be received by the affiliate no later than 4 PM on Friday, August 17th.
The purpose of the Amy Young Barrier Removal Program is to remove physical barriers in the home or the addition of features that are necessary, based on the nature of the disability, and will allow the person(s) with the disability to enjoy the full use of their home.
Basic Application Criteria:
- Must currently live or work in Garland, Rowlett, or Sachse
- Annual Gross income must be between 30% and 80% of the Area Median Income based on family size; refer to table below to determine if you meet the basic income requirements.
- At least 1 household member meets definition of Person with Disabilities. Must provide Certificate of Disability Form
- Must provide proof of ownership of property
|2018 HUD Median Income Levels
Amy Young Barrier Removal Program
|Family Size||30% MINIMUM ANNUAL INCOME||60% MAXIMUM ANNUAL INCOME||80% MAXIMUM ANNUAL INCOME|
Income Eligibility Requirements:
- Must provide recent pay stubs or completed Verification of Employment form; both full-time and part-time employment
- Must provide other forms of income such as Social Security, unemployment, SNAP, alimony/child support, etc.
- Must provide 2 previous years’ signed tax returns/tax transcripts
- Zero Income/Asset Certification Form; a family of 1 with a Zero Income/Asset Certificate will not be accepted
- Cannot have liquid assets exceeding $20,000
Eligible Repairs Include:
- Handrail and ramp installation
- Door widening
- Countertop and cabinet height adjustment
- Buzzing or flashing device installation for persons with visual or hearing impairments
- Accessible shower, toilet, and sink installation
Other Eligible Repairs (No more than 25% of program funds can go to) Include:
- Faulty, damaged or non-compliant electrical system
- Faulty, damaged or non-compliant gas-fueled systems
- Faulty, damaged or non-compliant heating and cooling systems or the absence of adequate heading and cooling system
- Faulty, damaged or non-compliant plumbing systems, including hot and cold water supply and sanitary sewer systems
- Faulty, damaged or non-compliant smoke, fire and carbon monoxide detection/alarm systems or absence of these systems
- Structural systems on the verge of collapse or failure
- Absence of adequate emergency and fire egress
- Environmental hazards such as mold, lead-based paint, asbestos or radon
- Serious pest infestation
Please download, print, and fill out the following documents and return them to Habitat for Humanity of Greater Garland no later than 4 PM on Friday, August 17th. Incomplete applications or applications that are received after the application deadline will not be considered for the Amy Young Barrier Removal program.
Applications can be returned:
In person Tuesday through Friday between 10 AM and 4 PM at 2360 Crist Rd, Ste. 700 Garland TX, 75040, (or)
You can mail your application to P.O. Box 462071 Garland, TX 75046. Mailed applications must be postmarked by Friday, August 17th.
If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact our:
Community Outreach Manager, Claire Mock, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 972-414-6894 x.108.